Colin Melvin is the Global Head of Stewardship for Hermes Investment Management as well as the Founder and Chairman of Hermes Equity Ownership Services. It is Colin's mission to innovate and create successful stewardship for large institutional investors, enabling them to be active engaged owners of the companies in which they invest. Colin describes why there's such a huge disconnect in this industry and what he and his team do to help change that.
- 01:00 - Who is Colin Melvin?
- 05:45 - Why are investment/pension funds shifting?
- 09:45 - The proper function of the financial system should be the allocation of capital, but that's not happening.
- 12:00 - We currently have a short-term relationship between the investor and the company.
- 13:55 - Adopting what the UN has done for ethical business practices, Colin and his company are focusing on responsible business principles for investment firms.
- 16:35 - What challenges has Colin faced while implementing these new changes?
- 20:25 - Colin shares an example of their global reach.
- 23:35 - Colin explains his role at Hermes.
- 27:00 - It has taken Colin and his team 11 years to get to where they are today.
- 27:50 - Colin discusses the concept of 'The Universal Owner'.
- 29:45 - Is the government getting involved with this process?
- 32:00 - Colin believes there have been some political shifts based on the investment industry shifting.
- 35:15 - What if we valued companies differently? In a more dynamic way? Colin explains further.
- 36:45 - What skills has Colin used that have lead to his success?
- 38:45 - Does Colin have any daily rituals?
- 39:45 - What advice would Colin give his 25-year-old self? Don't be afraid.
FULL SHOW NOTES: http://innovationecosystem.com/colin-melvin/